Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I didn't know at the time.

No one should do drugs/be 19 because then they end up with tattoos that read "art is hard" -and while that isn't not true, it's not very encouraging either.

I'm really fond of the WORK gallery. I get their call for submission e-mails but rarely participate because I'm scared my work isn't conceptual enough and that I won't be able to meet the guidelines. I tried once, for "Funny, Not Funny" -as a person who is both, I was sure to be accepted. I wasn't, but it felt good to know I made the effort. Now they have two calls out- one is for "Monsters" which I think I missed the deadline on, or it's really soon approaching... and the other is for "Considering The City" which is more or less looking for works that pertain to solutions for (or maybe just opinions of) Detroit. Everyone dumps on this place but no one gets up and moves (maybe not no one, but the ratio of complaints and actions certainly isn't very even.) Anyway, I've been living downtown for about 7 years now and while I watch things change, and I watch myself change, I still just really love it here no matter what.

I've spent a lot of time not feeling any sort of artistic responsibility toward any particular cause, as I feel my work is entirely aesthetic-based. But it can be both, maybe it has been both and I didn't realize it. It doesn't have to be, though. I don't think everyone needs to make political statements in their work. The value-level doesn't change for me. Anyway, I think it's important I contribute to this show. That's sort of what I'm getting at.

I have two pieces in mind. One abstract and one realistic. Both landscapes. Both inspired by light. Both cosmetic. I don't know if they go together or not. The images came at different times but I re-registered them both into my mind when I thought about this show. I don't know if that part matters or not.

No comments: