Thursday, September 23, 2010

Beyond Thunderdome.

Even though I'm a total bitch who values most of my peers opinions significantly less than my own,* good critiques still make me feel... Good. Weird, right? (*In all fairness, these feelings are often justified. I really am making an effort to be less of a snot this year, though...) School is a really exciting place for me right now. Even the boring parts, even the parts that make me resent not being able to spend that time making things.

I'm not painting at all this semester (in school, anyway) and it's sort of great. I'm at a place where I have my own procedures, and instead of producing a bunch of practice canvases (also important... kind of?) it'll be nice to have a catalogue of places and faces of my choosing that will actually mean something to me and my portfolio.

So, yeah, a lot of soft sculpture (can I just make shoulder pads and head pieces? Because I'm going too.) Also, a lot of audio/video work. Not totally into the idea of performance pieces, even though M thinks Haute To Death is performance. Yes, if you get down into the work J and I put behind the design of it, technically he's right. M is also concerned with me bridging the gap between my work at H2D. I tend to keep them completely separate, and never really considered why.


I'm thinking about this headpiece/wig thing as body extension. Sort of French Revolution meets Mad Max, sturdy yet delicate. Probably a lot of nylon, caulk, upholstery thread... I have this endless amount of ideas lately, but what I really need is endless amounts of time. I'm trying really hard to use up my material reserves in my studio before I buy anything else. I have so much shit! I am challenging myself to use all of it, save money, be less wasteful. Letting the medium be as challenging as the message/idea.

No comments: