Sunday, September 5, 2010

Thoughts on even skin tone and clean apartments...

"The more perfect the image, I think, the less people can connect with it." - Danny Roberts (Fashion Illustrator)

My work has always been (more or less) compensatory. I create to replicate what I've lost, I create to actualize what I've never had. For a long time I thought that meant I would never be especially conceptual, but could only be literal to satisfy my desires. This is what I want. This is what it is. However, the more I work, the more I find I am just as interested in satisfying the interests of others who feel the same way (being a Virgo, this is not generally surprising.) Unfortunately, the fewer "mistakes" I make, the smaller my relatable audience becomes.

The main focus, is/was perfection. Any errant mistake or move outside of my original intention would alter my meaning and take the work out of my control. I haven't been working with myself, so much as I've been trying to produce a concrete idea, to be finished as soon as possible and be taken out only for shows (or hopefully) sales. This is insane and completely not the point of why anyone should bother to make anything at all.

This is my final year of school (I think) and I really want to start breaking bad habits like this (and others.) What excites me most in the work of others is details, flaws, inconsistency- the qualities of a great narrative. Why haven't I been applying this to my own work? Why have I been looking at deviations as mistakes or weakness? Actions like this are really just the piece/process shaping me back. I want to try harder to stop fighting everything so much.

No comments: