Thursday, September 9, 2010

Where's Andre?

You know when you go back to school and the first week is always really special and you are amped for everything? I'm going to see if I can't maintain that energy at least until midterms.

So far I've only been to my studio courses, both of which concentrate on subjects I'm relatively unfamiliar with; soft sculpture, and time and digital media. These will both be great reasons to execute some projects I've been thinking about but unsure of how to handle.

I wasn't sure what to expect with soft sculpture, but I guess it's exactly what the name implies. Soft sculptures, lots of sewing, constructing... I guess we're supposed to get kind of free and just have fun. Oh, and it's all girls, apparently dudes never ever sign up for it. Total Ladies Sewing Circle and Terrorist Society 4 Life!

Our first assignment is deconstructing (not destroying, but properly deconstructing) a stuffed animal and turning it into something else. While I'm familiar with salvaged material and basing a lot of my work around the practice of alchemy, I've never done anything like this before. I thought I was going to turn him into external shoulder pads, but I might save that idea for a "body extension" project we have a little later in the semester... Anyway, this is my bear. He's am emerald-y teal velvet with a gold bow. His insides are netted bags containing little beads, along with some sort of poly-fill.



This class is probably just going to turn into Project Runway Fantasy Camp, and I'm really, really okay with that.

No comments: